Thursday 30 December 2010

The Mass is only a symbolic act - is that what we believe today?

"What is the Mass to you?"

(Kinsella answers:) "I suppose the Mass to me, as to most Catholics in the world today, is a symbolic act. I do not believe that the bread and wine is changed into the body and blood of Christ, except in a purely symbolic manner. Therefore, I do not, in the old sense, think of God as actually being present, there in the tabernacle......"

"Isn't that remarkable," the Abbot said, "And yet you seem to be what I would call a very dedicated young man".

"In what way is it remarkable, Father Abbot? It's the standard belief, in this day and age."

"Or lack of belief," the Abbot said, "I think I was born before my time. A man doesn't have to have such a big dose of faith anymore, does he?"

Kinsella smiled. "Perhaps not." He had been about to add that today's best thinking saw the disappearance of the Church building as a place of worship in favor of a more generalized community concept, a group gathered in a meeting to celebrate God-in-others. But decided that, perhaps, the Abbot was not ready for that step.

"Yes," the Abbot said. "I see now why the old Mass is now non grata.
And why you're here to tell us to cease and desist"

Extract from Catholics by Brian Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment