Tuesday 23 October 2012

A Catholic 'earworm'

I did not know what an 'earworm' was until today when Mrs Linen brought me up to date as she does regularly.

I tend to dislike new words that creep into the English language, I am a traditionalist after all.

But the word 'earworm' apparently refers to the catchy song or tune or, in my case, hymn that you hear and then just cannot get out of your head.

It is on a loop that repeats and repeats incessantly; you hum it, you sing it, it stays with you for days and days.

You may even wake up in the middle of the night hearing it.

This one I owe to Fr J and the October Devotions after Mass last Sunday.

It could also be something to do with the fact that I remember my mother singing this at my bedside when I was the tender age of three or four (gulp).

I think that every Catholic mother would like to croon this hymn softly to their loved ones - and your Guardian Angel will appreciate it also.


No comments:

Post a Comment