Tuesday 16 November 2010

Blessed Edward Osbaldston - in the footsteps of Christ

On 16th November 1594 Fr Edward Osbaldston was hanged, drawn and quartered at York, receiving his Martyr's crown.
Originally from Blackburn, Lancashire, Fr Edward was the son of Thomas Osbaldston of Osbaldston Hall. Educated at Douay, he was sent on the English Mission in 1589, being arrested after only a few years of his priestly ministry.


In his own words: "I was arrested at Fowlerton by Mr Thomas Clark, the apostate priest, upon St Jerome's Day, at night, a thing much to my comfort, for that I had such a special patron to commend myself to, and such a stout companion under Christ; and, besides, it pleased God much to my comfort to let this sign of His love fall unto me that day; for His great goodness called me to the priesthood, and upon St Jerome's Day I said my first Mass (and consecrated the blessed Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and received Him), and ever since, have honoured St Jerome.

Blessed Edward Balderston, English Martyr, Ora pro nobis

No comments:

Post a Comment