Thursday 20 March 2014

Nottingham to get Liverpool?....breaking news.....

UPDATE: Announced at 11am 21st March......Damian was right! Bishop Malcolm McMahon gets Liverpool!

                                        A Dominican for Liverpool?


Damian Thompson of The Daily Telegraph has just posted on his blog that he believe Bishop Malcolm McMahon of Nottingham Diocese may be the new Archbishop of Liverpool Archdiocese.

If my memory regarding Damian's past tips is true then it is highly unlikely to be Bishop McMahon.

Was it not the Holy Smoke blog that told the world that the new Archbishop of Cardiff was going to be Bishop Thomas Burns of Menevia when, a few days later it was announced that Westminster's George Stack had got the job?

On that basis alone DT must be off beam........but who will be the next man in Liverpool?

Maybe it's time to roll out Bishop Burns again....or is that wishful thinking on my part as a Menevian?

Here is how Damian posted (on his behalf I apologise for the awful grammar and, to be fair, he does say that there is a good chance that he is wrong - compelling journalism)

OK. This is Kremlinology – I'm repeating a RUMOUR and there's a good chance it will be proved wrong. Got that?
Fine. There are folk out there who say Bishop Malcolm McMahon of Nottingham, a Dominican, will be promoted to Liverpool. And for orthodox Catholics that's far from bad news. +Malcolm is a bit of an old Lefty, but a holy man with a lovely pastoral ministry. I think I'm right in saying that he's celebrated in the Extraordinary Form.
Let's wait and see.


Actually, I don't rate + McMahon as being a good choice for orthodox Catholics.
 "Old Lefties" generally rate slightly below shoe level when it comes to being orthodox in my experience.



13 comments:

  1. I don't know why DT's making out this is news. If you're in the know it sure ain't.... And there's been recent events in the last week that have confirmed that something at least will be happening to +Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're a little harsh on +Malcolm. He's made some good quiet reforms in Nottingham that have bourn fruit. The current priests doing vocations are two of the best priests I know. And put it this way, the Nottingham diocese discernment group has more men in it than the discernment group for the whole of Scotland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACC92 - and as Chairman of the Catholic Education Service he has achieved what? Catholic education in our schools is a scandal.

      Delete
    2. Let's be honest, that should be the role of each bishop anyway.

      Delete
  3. My money's on +KC. For continuity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - Cormac owns Leeds and Liverpool and Byrne was a sweetener.

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing that ++ Arthur Roche is now happily ensconced in Rome, so it just leaves Mgr. A. S.......ill, who made such a success of organising Pope Benedict's UK visit, to be placed.

      Delete
    3. Trust me,Malcolm is getting liverpool tomorrow

      Delete
    4. Yes I agree with AS in Leeds but thought KC would get the Liverpool gig.

      Delete
  4. 'I think I'm right in saying that he's celebrated in the Extraordinary Form' . More than once as a bishop; in 2010 he chose to mark the tenth anniversary of his consecration by celebrating a Pontifical High Mass at Holy Cross Priory, Leicester, the only English bishop to have done so in his own diocese since the 1960s (Westminster auxiliaries don't count). The cathedral had fortunately kept the cappa magna last worn by Bishop Ellis who incidentally confirmed me back in '58.

    On 'mutual enrichment' he remarked that the EF had more to teach the OF than vice-versa, and joked that those who objected to the new translation could always apply to Rome for an indult.

    As the photograph shows, he knows how to dress as a bishop. He can't be all bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I would award him no more than 4 out of 10. Not all bad, agreed.

      Delete
  5. Johnny - you may well be right about Liverpool. I'm hearing rumours though of resistance to AS in Leeds but Cormac won in the end. I feel sorry for Mgr. Wilson who has been running the show for nearly 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious, from whom or where have you heard that?

      Delete