Wednesday 6 July 2011

Where is the footage showing Pope JPII's first visit to the USA?

It seems appropriate, somehow, in the aftermath of Independence Day celebrations and, in light of the debate regarding communion in the hand or on the tongue to review Bl Pope John Paul II's visit to the USA way back in 1979.

Taken when Pope JP II was still a Cardinal -
 it was all so black and white then!
Why? Because he gave a guide as to how one should receive the Body of Christ.
A nun was kneeling at the communion rails (they did that back then) but, instead of opening her mouth and extending her tongue she held out both hands.
The Holy Father gently guided her hands so that they were joined Amen fashion and then placed the host on her tongue. What better sign could one wish for?

I just wish that I could find the clip on Youtube.

6 comments:

  1. Great news - and what an excellent memory you must have.

    There's no choice here. Admittedly in the Churches I go to Communion is received standing, but only on the tongue, and only the Host, as I believe is the Polish practice.

    No Extraordinary ministers either, but even my tiny Parish has three Priests.

    Chris Wright (Left-footer.blogspot)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please tell me why and by whom I have been removed from thwe Guild roll?
    no one else has answered me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem is that Rome and its Bishops have been ambiguous on such matters.

    we need CLEAR GUIDANCE.

    news that Bishops are putting out statements that Communion in the hand is to be the norm causes great upset!

    THIS IS THE BODY, BLOOD, SOUL AND DIVINITY OF JESUS CHRIST!

    I wonder sometimes how many prelates no longer believe in the Real Presence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diddleymaz - nothing sinister I am sure, I do not feature in the contributor list.
    I will try to find Laurence's email myself adress and contact him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not just that Rhichard I can't post anymore either in effect I am no longer a member it would be nice to have a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diddleymaz, I have asked A Reluctant Sinner....will await a response.

    ReplyDelete