Monday 4 July 2011

Happy Independence Day!

To the land of Little Women and Minute Men I wish you all a very happy Independence Day although, truth be told, I think that you would be much happier if your were all still part of England (heh, heh).

You have the good providence to speak (apparently), much as our ancestors at the time of Shakespeare spoke. You talk of the 'Fall' as we used to, you use the word 'puke' excessively (or so we are led to believe) and you also have a sort of rural drawl that our rustic forbears had. The thing is, we in England progressed and you lot stayed the same!

That was, by the way,  before my combox becomes full to overloaded, an English joke. We love our American cousins (or, at least, I do).
I have only spent 3 weeks in Concord and Boston back in 1990, but I learnt a great deal and that brief period changed my life and my way of thinking, thank you.

I remember, particularly, the graves of the Redcoat soldiers by the bridge in Concord.  They were the first to fall in this grim fight, far from home and, it has to be said, in a land that they thought of as being home also. The graves had fresh flowers placed on them every day and this had a profound affect on me. Would we in England be so generous to our foe?

I tried to find a musical extract that epitomised Britain's regard for the USA and I failed. So here is a little of Burl Ives and the Cowboy's Lament. Just as you may think that Britain is symbolised by Guardsmen in bearskins marching up and down the Mall, so we think of America as being Burl Ives and Cowboys---- maybe it's an age thing.


Either way......happy ID!

15 comments:

  1. Still can't log in with as Left-footer on Google, so have done so with Wordpress.

    I loved this: affectionate, elegant, witty, beautiful, and true.

    God bless America!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the tune is, of course, the sea-shanty: "Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies".

    Thank you.

    Chris Wright (again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Richard, someone's accused me of something rather vulgar in an anonymous comment. As your name is also mentioned, I thought I would direct your attention to it.....

    http://shadowlands1.blogspot.com/2011/06/guild-of-blessed-titus-brandsma-will.html#comments

    I wonder who it is? A trad or a liberal.......?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadowlands - definitely a liberal :)
    Sorry you were subject to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall pray an extra prayer daily now, for the EF intentions!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Richard (grin)! I'm rather glad to be an American today! You folks from England have always liked to make things rather difficult, including adding extra u's to all your words (colour, favour, humour, etc...). I must admit, however, that we made a quite large mistake when we dumped all that lovely tea in the harbor (harbour?) all those years ago ;)

    And, yes, puke, is our often used, colorful (colourful), expression for vomit. We like to keep things short and simple you see (lol)! You would hate to hear our other word for puke but I will tell you anyway - it's "barf"! Hee!Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How does that Shaw saying go again? Two people divided by a common language? My hostess was good enough to keep reminding me not to say I was stuffed after a big meal and to refer to my jeans as trousers instead of pants. Thanks for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TLW - Oh, you mean George Bernard.....I thought for one second that you meant Dr Joseph!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christopher - not sure what the logging in problem is, beyond my ken to fix it I'm afraid.
    Thanks for your comments....never thought of 'Farewell and Adieu' in the Laredo context but you are quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. richard,
    I am the author of Praeceptorum Deus Blog. i noticed that you follow my blog and just wanted to thank you. i will be following yor blog too!

    Thanks again and God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad it wasn't just me mistaking the sensible Dr Joseph with a well known bearded fruitarian in one of the previous comments.

    Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Independence from the Church of England Day! ;)

    In all sincerity, thank you for your kind well wishes today. May God bless you, the U.K. and the U.S.A.!

    Oh, and we are enjoying listening to John Philip Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever. Not that Burl Ives singing cowboy songs isn't enjoyable as well. Though, I don't know too many irl cowboys that would even know the words to that song let alone sing it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, quite funny Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the British empire a man who more cordially loves a union with Great Britain than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the British Parliament propose; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America.
    —Thomas Jefferson, November 29, 1775

    Richard,
    I found this online today and immediately thought of you and this post. So here I am sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isaac,
    I can't take full credit for it as I read it here first: http://unam-ecclesiam.blogspot.com/ :)
    God bless,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete