Thursday 10 February 2011

To re-propose Tradition rather than to impose it

Mgr Charles Pope, excellent man that he is, has written about the EF Mass and the reform of the reform within the context of bringing the Catholics who either have no knowledge of what is involved or who actively dislike the concept of "a Latin Mass" on board. Re-proposing rather than imposing. It comes from the Archdiocese of Washington website and makes for good and heartening reading.
In recent years (probably since the Motu Proprio), I have come to believe that every parish should have both forms of Mass on offer (up until then I felt that only the EF Mass would do). The new can and does sit alongside the orthodox comfortably. It may be that OF parishioners may never wish to experience an EF Mass but that's alright....as long as both factions respect each others views and accept both forms.
Read Mgr Pope's piece here.http://blog.adw.org/

1 comment:

  1. I read Msgr. Pope's piece; it was his usual standard—well-written, thoughtful and thought-provoking. Unfortunately, I've never had experience of the OF (or if I did, it was when I was still in diapers), so I'm usually a little hesitant to comment on it. I do think, though, that we have two extremes to contend with: those who think all our problems will be solved by going back to 1962, and those who think all our problems will be solved by becoming more like the CofE. I think there's room here for both the OF and EF, as long as both are done well and done reverently.

    ReplyDelete