Friday 18 February 2011

The EF Mass - it's not rocket science you know!

Young priests who harbour a desire to offer up the Mass of all Time but are worried that their confreres may hold them up to ridicule can learn how to celebrate it in under one week in private.
I was rifling through old press cuttings recently and came across a letter published either in The Daily Telegraph or, possibly, The Catholic Herald c. 2003.

It was from a Father Julian Large of The Oratory in London. I do not know Fr Large but he is obviously a good man and my kind of priest; here is his letter:-

Sir - I never passed a driving test, I do not ski and I can hardly swim. My violin teacher advised me to give up all hope of learning to play any musical instrument on my second lesson. I failed Maths  O-level twice, and my French makes Parisian waiters wince.

I did, however, manage to teach myself how to celebrate the Traditional Mass. It took one week reading J O'Connell's 'The Celebration of Mass' and practising on the desk in my room, and an hour's dry-run with a patient priest the day before my ordination in 2003.
It can't be so difficult.

Ends/..................


For any priest or seminarian interested 'The Celebration of the Mass' is available on Amazon at c. £20 or, secondhand copies sometimes available from John Bevan at Catholic Books.
Also, today there are many DVDs that take you through the process, step by step.

                                          IT CAN'T BE SO DIFFICULT!

No comments:

Post a Comment