Tuesday 16 July 2013

OMG is NVG


Not a T shirt worn by a Catholic

The current, and seemingly worldwide usage of the ejaculation, 'Oh my God' has now reached totally unacceptable proportions.


It is, 'Not very good' to use this phrase, in any circumstances other than when on one's knees in a church or in prayer in the home.

I am certain, in fact, that any street usage of this chavvish and blasphemous phrase is unacceptable but, today, it appears to have become the vox pop, not only for the chavs, but also many of those who use the new social networks.

Texting, Facebook and Twitter seem to be littered with 'OMGs' and, walking down any high street, you can hear the phrase coming at you from all directions.

I really admire the Muslims for the way they revere their holy names - but that's as far as it goes.

I am certainly not in favour of dishing out floggings (or worse) for any incontinent usage of the name of the 'prophet' or 'Allah'....although, they do have attractions at times.

What can be done?

Well.......we could start by telling those who make such utterances that it is offensive and unacceptable.

Of course, we face arrest by the authorities or a beating up by the ungodly (or both) by making such statements but, we have to start making a stand somewhere and, the older I get, the less sensitive I am about upsetting the apple cart.

A good start would be in the retail trade in the situation where, in response to the question: "This chicken is well past it's sell by date"  the assistant says: "Oh, my God" you can gently point out that you find it offensive, along with the chicken.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, it is awful but what is worse is that I hear almost as many Catholics as non-Catholics doing this. What really makes me flinch is when people use Jesus' name irreverently. To be fair to those I work with, they have made an effort not to and they almost never do now. It's amazing - they have a real respect for Our Lord's name now but they didn't understand before I explained. Regarding practising Catholics, this all goes back to a total lack of catechesis doesn't it (like most problems we have nowadays!!)?

    P.s. I totally agree with this --> "I really admire the Muslims for the way they revere their holy names". Well done to them on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I go to Sunday Mass, I have heard the priest uses it during his homilies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its first recorded use (simply O.M.G.), was I believe, in a memo sent to Winston Churchill by Admiral Jackie Fisher during the First World war.

    It took a long time to catch on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gordon Bennett!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a very foggy evening and my mother in law was making her way home through the pea-souper when a man nearby walked into a parked car. "Gordon Bennett" came the expletive.
    Brendon? Is that you?
    It was my sister's husband, who is the only person next to N.P. and you Richard to use that expression in our connections.

    ReplyDelete