Saturday 27 July 2013

"O come and smirk with me awhile...."

A group places a cross on the stage during the Stations of the Cross event, on the Copacabana beachfront in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Friday, July 26, 2013. Francis presided over one of the most solemn rites of the Catholic Church on Friday, a procession re-enacting Christ's crucifixion, that received...
Cross or Maypole? More Broadway than Via Crucis

I watched, briefly (very briefly) part of the World Youth Day Stations of the Cross, screened last night by EWTN, from Copacabana Beach - where else?


I came in at the eleventh station and exited at the twelfth.

I have never seen such unmitigated, puke inducing, blasphemous rubbish in all my 24 years, ahem.


At  first I thought that EWTN was showing Men in Black 3 as the screen was full of rather camp looking Brazilians in funny poses and dressed in black suits, a sort of cross between a Monty Python sketch and Morecambe and Wise at their best.

Then, cue the glamour puss who recited, presumably, a rendering of the Passion, with one of those silly half smirks on her face.
You know, the sort normally employed by CoE vicars who feel that they must lighten up and show their 'human' side in spite of the fact that they are speaking of the grimmest moment in world history.

And then we were transported back to the London Olympics, men in black were out and men and women in doctor's and nurses gear were in.

It was a farce of the grand order and only lacked the skill and expertise of the 'Carry On' team.

As I switched off the television, a grotesque 3 dimensional image of Christ on the cross swivelled in the manner of a fairy godmother leaving the stage during a Christmas panto.


Enough - Não obrigado, não minha xícara de chá 

11 comments:

  1. Solidarity and Fraternity was the Theme and I Feel Your
    Pain Jesus cause I constantly fight the Pain of Teenagerdom in real time and entended time. Masonic through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tuned in about the sixth station. Was tempted to turn it off immediately but decided to persevere and see what they were up to. Have to say I found it very moving. Wouldn't be my way of following Stations, but I'm a good 20 year's too old for WYE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Struth I thought it was a Hillsong cabaret. Hillsong the large Aussie church with 20,000 members who's music is saturating everything -Kendrick ANTIPODEAN style

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is heartbreaking. Will these shenanigans help them become the persecuted saints they should be in today's anti-Christian world? Dilution and distortion and distraction and delusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you start in this saturated WYD liturgitainment? The interminable beat music, the mimed singing, the constant roars of "Francisco" (Christ doesn't get much of a look in), the voluptuous ladies in diaphanous robes, the priest commentators in silly hats, the even sillier bishops (see Rorate Caeli for that one)?
    I caught the last two Stations and heard the dreaded words "artistic representation", a sure reach-for-my-gun option. What part of profane is not understood?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Richard & Co.

    Much of the purported "reaching the youth where they are" is not about the youth at all; it is about the mind-set of the thirty-something-never-found-a-real-job leaders still living in a Never-Never-Land Where It Is Always 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the path to hell, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hollywood has come to the Church, and, I fear, the Pope.

    ReplyDelete