|A 1940s child's view of devils - courtesy of Fr Gerard Scriven, White Father|
Yet, Pope Benedict issued his orders in full appreciation that the forces of Satan are on the march (apologies if that sounds like Lord of the Rings speak but Tolkien, I am sure was cognisant of the way the world was going when he wrote his trilogy).
Satan is real, demonic influences surround us, abortion, terrorism, euthanasia, genocide, child abuse, family structure in freefall, secularism and the host of other corrosive elements that we now face on a daily basis.
|The Exorcist - not too far from the truth|
"Dropped everything and fled" he responded. "It was beyond me to remain there any longer". We tend not to think too deeply about such subjects which is all well and good, but we should not, in any way, underestimate the grip that is on the world and pray regularly and frequently to St Michael and Our Lady. Only two years ago Cardinal Tettamanzi issued a ten point caveat regarding the devil, here it is:
- Do not forget that the devil exists
- Do not forget that the Devil is a tempter
- Do not forget that the devil is very intelligent and very astute
- Be vigilant concerning your eyes and heart – be strong in spirit and virtue
- Firmly believe in the victory of Christ over the tempter
- Remember that Christ makes you a participant in His victory
- Listen carefully to the word of God
- Be humble and love mortification
- Pray without flagging
- Love the Lord your God and offer worship to Him only