Sunday 11 March 2012

Wearing a cross in Britain could leave you jobless

Following close on the heels of David Cameron's plans for homosexual and lesbian marriages to become legal we now have, according to The Sunday Telegraph, a fresh move to ban Christians from wearing any religious symbols in the workplace.

This appears to be both bizarre and Stalinist and it looks as if Cameron is set to go the route of Obama by losing the Catholic vote in the future.

The move has been prompted by two women who are taking their case for the freedom to wear a cross or crucifix at work  to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg where Article 9 states that:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private to manifest his religion or belief, in worship, teaching, practice and observance"

The Government is opposing this appeal and, if successful, will have no hesitation in implementing the law making it possible to dismiss employees who wear a cross.

Lord Carey, former Archbishop of Canterbury, has weighed in with support for the right to express one's Christian faith by means of wearing symbols or jewellery and accused ministers of sidelining the established faith of the country.
Where are the Catholic Bishops?

Heads down below the parapet as usual I'm afraid, no sign of any Christianity from that quarter.

I actually do have reservations regarding the wearing of a cross or crucifix as an item of adornment, it seems to me that it rather trivialises the supreme sacrifice that Christ made on the cross, but, if a person wishes to wear it openly only a diabolical influence would wish to ban it surely?

A Sikh male may even wear this in school in
parts of the country - but a cross is out!
Meanwhile, of course, Sikhs may wear their turbans, bracelets and carry daggers and Muslim women may wear the niqab face mask - all without a challenge of any kind.

When the time comes to cast a vote in the future, I am going to find it hard to find a home for my "cross" - in fact, I even may ban it, certainly from the Conservative Party.

13 comments:

  1. Richard, Along with you, I was disgusted upon reading the article in the Telegraph. I had to laugh at the government's reasoning: wearing a cross is not obligatory for Christians whereas a kirpan is for Sikhs. I certainly hope that the bishops speak out on this matter.

    Regarding the kirpan in schools, my understanding is it up to the local authority to make decisions on this issue. Our own local authority allows it only if (a) if the blade is made of plastic or (b) the metal blade is welded to the sheath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,
    God help us All-The war against Christ, His Church and His Sacred Ministers is on; not forgetting the lay faithful also! Its looking like it's back to the catacombs again-we need an imminent Rosary Crusade to save this country and to bring it back to the Dowry of Mary once again!

    God Bless,

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose that in Britain as in the USA so many Catholics vote for the very candidates who will then humiliate and even persecute them.


    -- Mack in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard - you write, "I actually do have reservations regarding the wearing of a cross or crucifix as an item of adornment, it seems to me that it rather trivialises the supreme sacrifice that Christ made on the cross".

    I wear a visible Crucifix and a Miraculous Medal on a chain round my neck, as do most people in Poland, male and female, but not for adornment.

    It's a Sacramental, and a statement, not jewellery, and (I hope) will ensure that, when I am seriously ill or injured, a Priest will be called.

    Every school classroom, every shop, every doctor's surgery, every hospital ward and waiting or consulting room here has a Crucifix on the wall.

    I am waiting for some mud-brain to challenge this practice in The Hague or wherever.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, yes, 'not for adornment' is the key. I just mildly dislike brooches and necklaces that use the cross motif.
    I myself have St Thomas More and another saint (how coy) on a chain around my neck.
    I am tempted to wear a visible rosary; that would speak volumes.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard - wearing a Rosary? Go for it!

    Have linked to this post in my latest.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - like many other Catholics I wear the brown Scapular & the Miraculous Medal around my neck . My car displays a set of Rosary beads hung from the rear vision mirror . Let there be no doubt what I am .
    From Our Lady`s Land of the Southern Cross .

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's as bad over there as it is over here.
    Why are people afraid of Christianity and God?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why are people afraid of Christianity and God? Because they want to do as they like but know in their heart of hearts that what they want to do, or do, is intrinsically wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even Jesus was afraid and asked to be spared what was to come. Do not mock fear. Pray for strength, when your own time arrives. I wear a crucifix and a medal. I will not take it off easily, I wonder how far I am prepared to go? I do not know yet. None of us do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Srilankan Priest at the Catholic Church in Deptford High Street seven years ago had a Cross tattooed on each hand betwee his thumb and forefinger.

    How would our liberal masters deal with That?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris, I think they would wish to chop his fingers off (that's the liberal way).
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wear the green scapular when I go out in public but it is under my clothes safe and sound. I cannot wear metal due to a significant scar.

    ReplyDelete