Friday 1 June 2012

The Olympics - taken over by modernists?

I am, if nothing else, a glutton for punishment.

The comment box will be full to overflowing with all my readers crossly clicking away (that's my friend Keith who is really a Catholic but in denial, and my other friend who shall be nameless as he lingers away his life in a prison cell).

You see, I think the Olympics a tremendous waste of money. Yes, I do.

I've lost score of how many billions of pounds it is going to cost but I do know that just a fraction of that sum would make a great many people in South Sudan or Ethiopia or Brazil, very happy.

So, it will come as no surprise to you to learn that there are several Olympic events specifically for modernists.
Here is a video clip of them in training........



And here, also, is a tale of some of those nations who are competing (nothing to do with Catholicism, but it's time for a little levity)....


It's 2012 and it's the Olympics in London .
A Scotsman, an Englishman and an Irishman want to get in, but they
haven't got tickets.

The Scotsman picks up a manhole cover, tucks it under his arm and walks to
the gate.
" McTavish , Scotland ," he says, "Discus" and in he walks.

The Englishman picks up a length of scaffolding and slings it over his
shoulder.
" Waddington-Smythe , England " he says, "Pole vault" and in he walks.

The Irishman looks around and picks up a roll of barbed wire and tucks
it under his arm.
“O'Malley, Ireland " he says, "Fencing."

As for the Welshman.....well he is in training with a brew of the Rev James!


9 comments:

  1. I posted this on my facebook page yesterday! Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Python sketch! Their humour seems a tad dated these days, but they really were cutting edge, weren't they?

    As for the Olympiad money being better spent on the starving in Africa and the wretched of the world, I do agree; but the same could be said for the massive wealth the Church has in its museums and archives which contain items mostly unseen. The much-maligned Paul VI once said "The Church must not only be poor; she must be seen to be poor". As a start, perhaps Cardinal Burke can auction his cappa magna which he seems to love so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago a curate in Dublin who had spent some time on the "English Mission" as Chaplain told me never to refer to England as "pagan". He said England believed in a trinity - Sex, Self and Sport. I suppose the Olympics is an opportunity for "worship".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris said:
    "but the same could be said for the massive wealth the Church has in its museums and archives which contain items mostly unseen"

    I disagree, if these beautiful things were sold off, the money they raised would soon disappear, as would the treasures themselves, into the mansions of only rich people who could afford them.

    They have a much better chance of being seen and used for evangelising in the Church's hands. Those who are blessed enough to view them, in Rome for example, are inspired spiritually by them.

    The desire to 'own' them would be a materialistic one, not philanthropic, which I sense, is the Church's approach. Otherwise, some Cardinal would have sold them off, to make some money wouldn't they?

    I do agree that desire for attaining worldly goods should be curbed in the Catholic. Jesus didn't own hardly anything, even though He created the lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard,
    Excellent post and humor-I needed a laugh on this dreary day! I agree with your sentiments-I would go further and add for that matter; so to is Lizzy's jubilee! keep making us All laugh too.


    Cheers,


    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Ros, did not realise you had it covered....Facebook is still a minefield for me.
    Thanks EFPE and Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no probs Richard, everything I post is something I've seen somewhere else! (Apart from my regular rants, which are, original)!

      Delete
  7. Chris - for once I agree with Shadowlands (what is happening to me?). The treasures of the Vatican have been accrued, over the centuries, mainly as gifts from individuals or states. They belong to the Church and are not there to be pawned off every now and again. They reflect the glory due to God Almighty and to inspire us to revere Him all the more. The poor will be always with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "for once I agree with Shadowlands (what is happening to me?)"

    Hahahahaha!!! My cunning plan is unfolding nicely....
    We'll have you strumming 'Shine Jesus shine' before you realise ;)

    ReplyDelete