Monday 7 May 2012

Answers to the ten criticisms most often raised


Catholics who have little or no experience of the Latin Mass, Mass in the Extraordinary Form, have many pre-conceived notions.

They generally come in the form of a one off critical statement thrown into a general conversation at random making them difficult to respond to without a jerk of the knee.

Here are the responses to the top ten criticisms, in a more measured 'answer' format, please feel free to add more of your own in the comments box.


1. Most cottas are plain, not lacy.
2. Priests do not “gabble” the Latin
3. It is easy to follow if you have a Missal
4. The incense and the bells both serve a purpose
5. The priest is not turning his back to the people so much as facing God
6. It is not exclusive, many peasants in the Middle Ages coped quite well  
     with Latin
7. It’s quiet because you are in the presence of Almighty God
8. Plainchant is another link back to Christ, guitars aren’t
9. Wearing a mantilla is not a form of subjugation so much as an offering
    to God made by a woman
10. It is returning, it may be slow coming but coming it is!

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you - ten times!

    Holy Mass, I believe, is an Act rather than a "service", the Re-enactment of the Sacrifice at Calvary. It fills me, therefore, with hope, gratitude, love, and terror, probably in equal proportions.

    I have no more desire to smirk, croon, sway, strum a guitar, or be chummy at Mass, than I would have had at the actual Crucifixion.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this from Chesterton:

    "He begins to realise that it is the secular world that spoils the sense of words; and he catches an exciting glimpse of the real case for the iron immortality of the Latin Mass. It is not a question between a dead language and a living language; in the sense of an everlasting language. It is a question between a dead language and a dying language; an inevitably degenerating language".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuart - "It is a question between a dead language and a dying language; an inevitably degenerating language."

    I wholeheartedly agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard,
    Excellent post-once again you are absolutely spot on with your analysis!

    Cheers,

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all and especial thanks to Stuart for the GKC quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to you all!

    I understand that before Vatican II (I am a convert, by the Mercy of God), the expression was "assisting at Mass." I like that. And we assist with our presence, our attitude of humility instead of the 'tude of me-ness, and by praying meaningfully to God. Praying in Latin would be a further assistance, because it is our common (in the sense of shared) language.

    In my mission church we have bits in English and in Spanish, and this artificial division in our common Faith would be remedied, at least somewhat, by prayer in our common language.

    I apologize for babbling; your posting was bang-on or spot-on or, as we Texans might say, "You nailed it, partner."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mack I too am a convert coming to the Church via the Latin Mass. I went on Pentecost Sunday last year and sent the priest Fr Tattersall a message afetrwards-"Deo Solitaire Gloria". I thought of going back to my old baptist church but the thought of guitairs and triumphalism fill me with dread. Rather the Pater Noster in the quiet of a Latin Mass than the patter than the chatter of people right up to the "Service" beginning

    ReplyDelete