Tuesday 2 July 2013

The wearing of mantillas.....so unfair

                                             

I mean, we men have no such easy means of assuming an aura of humility and dedication of self to God.

Women may carry a mantilla with them in their pocket or handbag and, hey presto, within a few seconds transform themselves from the worldly to the angelic.

Whenever I attend Mass with my daughters, my heart misses a beat when I turn and catch sight of them, head bent in prayer and a mantilla gracefully hiding the glory of their hair from the sight of man, but not from God.

In that instant I realise that they belong not to me but to Almighty God and that I am just the part time caretaker, the hired hand who only has a passing involvement in something much more intimate and beautiful, the relationship between them and Our Lord.

So, the mantilla has a transforming effect and that is why it is so unfair; we males have nothing remotely approaching this mantle of sanctity; we have to remove our cloth caps and go bareheaded into the House of the Lord, like schoolboys removing their caps while in the presence of the Head.

We stand there, dull and ordinary and zombie like while our wives and daughters positively glow.

It is good, therefore, to see another 'mantilla' blog appear, this time from Oxford's Amanda Lewin, please visit her blog 'Loving Mantillas' and add it to your bloglist.

This is Amanda's second blog (masochist) her first one being
 Catholic Home Education.

Why not visit both?  Why not add both?

14 comments:

  1. "We stand there, dull and ordinary and zombie like while our wives and daughters positively glow."

    I suggest that the secret is simply to remove one's hat- and not one's head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricius and Richard - and grow a beard of patriarchal dimensions. Not remotely like a zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris and Patricius, I always remove my head before attending Mass (but only at NO Masses).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautifully poignant post from a loving Father. Thank you ever so much for the mention.
    God Bless,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS; If you have any photos of your daughters I would love to add them to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I concur with Amanda. Beautifully phrased, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Amanda.....I think all we have are old fashioned non digital ones, I shall work on updating them. Thank you for your kind words.
    AP - you are very gracious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It used to be standard practice centuries ago - I remember it well.
    I love the expression it displays, ie. modesty.
    Great stuff Richardo.
    Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful piece because it speaks to truth. I started to cover my head in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament a year or two ago - except when I discover I don't have a scarf with me. Sadly, I have not received one word of encouragement or appreciation from the several priests of my parish, which is a Dominican one. A couple of young lay women have acknowledged it, though I'm not sure they fully understand the purpose of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are looking for encouragement and appreciation, that would not speak to humility.

      Delete
  10. Beautifully stated. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think there is nothing more humble than a man with a rosary in his hand.
    Thank you for this article.


    ReplyDelete