Monday 13 February 2012

Australia beckons

Next month, all being well, Mrs Linen and I will be embarking for a few weeks sojourn in the Antipodes.

The only purpose of this visit is to see our son, daughter-in-law and our two grandchildren but I hope, also, to visit Melbourne Cathedral and, to travel, if not entirely in the footprints of Bishop Ullathorne, at least in his shadow and to post, between glasses of the amber liquid, on things relating to HMC.

Now I most definitely will not indulge in any dubious imitations of the Australian speech style or reinforce cliched stereotypes of what I know to be utterly false identities. It sounds terribly pompous to make comments such as "I love Australia and its people" but I do.

So I  was most relieved to come across this helpful video clip from the Australian Tourist Board. It is not our first visit but I am always appreciative of advice from those in the know, listen for the line regarding "minceabout" as opposed to "walkabout."






What a politically incorrect lot we were in those days!

3 comments:

  1. G'day Bruce. Don't forget to write (blog) whilst there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,
    Excellent humor-ideal for a Monday morning!


    Cheers,

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ros - no worries Sheila!

    Michael - God bless you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete