Thursday 31 March 2011

The debate that splits the Catholic Church.....

.....This debate has set father against son, daughter against mother, friends have parted company over it and it's best not to discuss it if alcohol has been taken. It has gone on for years and H/T to Bones for reminding me that it is in the news once more.......


......is it permissible eat hot cross buns on Good Friday or not?
Does it also make you hot and cross
when these are eaten on Good Friday?

In my book it's a definite no! How can you indulge in consuming these delicious spiced buns on a day of fasting, abstinence and penance? And you cannot get away with it by arguing the case that, because they are adorned with a cross sign it is all approved by Holy Mother Church.

Yet I know many Catholics (from both ends of the spectrum) who will eat hot cross buns as part of the tradition of Good Friday. They are conning themselves, it breaks with tradition, it is wrong.

By the way, please do not think that I am being bunphobic - I have a passion for these things but save it until Holy Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. This issue has puzzled me a lot over the years. It seems obvious that they are intended for Good Friday - hence the decoration. But I gather that originally they were much more penitential in character - they've had sugar and raisins put into them, and, I agree, they'll have to wait at least till Saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree aswell. Much as I love them, Good Friday is dry bread and water for me, please God although I might sneak a cup of tea :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I've never tasted them. Perhaps I should reserve my judgment until then. :) Good excuse to hop across the pond one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I hate to break it to you my friends, but I don't particularly like hot cross buns, so if I ate them on a Friday, it WOULD be a penance for me. I never think of them as Friday fare, I think of them as Lenten fare for some folks who would prefer having a donut. It's not a bad exercise to avoid those things we enjoy on Fridays, particularly during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from America. I wouldn't know a hot cross bun if it jumped up and throttled me. But just your mentioning them in connection with Good Friday makes me want to make up a batch ... though not on Good Friday ....

    ReplyDelete