Sunday 28 August 2011

He would have loved Reverend James!

William Beer knew his saints as well as his ale
Today is the feastday of St Augustine of Hippo, son of yesterday's Saint, his mother, St Monica.
Ironically, just as Mama is patron saint of alcoholics, so, son Augustine is patron saint of brewers! I just love the way that Holy Mother Church appoints things with no thoughts of political correctness.

I will not go into St A's early life, this blog is far too virtuous for such romps but, it is so very reassuring to know that a lad who loved too much and drank too well ended up as a Doctor of the Church and a much learned and loved saint - there lies hope for us all!

As an expert on all things alcoholic I am certain that St Augustine would have forgiven The Reverend James brew its Anglican heritage and enjoyed a pint of the ambrosial (or, even, Ambrosian) nectar.

Hippo is now within the borders of Algeria, a much troubled country with a powerful undercurrent of  Islamic fundamentalism (see the DVD 'Of Gods and Men') and all who labour in those fields require our prayers.
This gives me an opportunity to correct two erroneous impressions regarding my views.
Comments have been made that I am anti Muslim and biased towards Muslims.
Firstly, I am very anti Islam and very opposed to the teachings contained within both the Koran and Hadith but I do not oppose Muslims per se and any feelings towards those of that faith I hope are enshrined in a Catholic manner.

Secondly, (and this is a common error on the blogosphere), to be biased means that one leans towards or is in favour of something. To be prejudiced is the opposite. Therefore it would be true to say that I am prejudiced against fundamentalism but biased towards traditional Catholicism. There endeth the first lesson! Apologies to those who know the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment